Thursday, October 6, 2011

Should I use my job to pick up women?

I am a single man and I own a locksmith business. I frequently go out on re-keys (change locks) because of relationships ending. I usually meet friendly attractive women who are going through breakups and divorces. I would be interested in dating some of these women but I don't know how to make the move from locksmith to asking them out. Is it inappropriate or creepy to ask them out? If it's not, then how should I go about it? I have thought about calling these women back a few weeks later to see how they are doing but I don't want to set off the creep meter. I'm average looking, funny, street and life smart. I'm just not sure on this one. What are your thoughts?
Should I use my job to pick up women?
I see nothing wrong with using the contact circumstance to strike up a conversation. However, you'll need to at least defuse a couple of worries.



%26quot;I've really enjoyed talking with you today; I wish all my work were this pleasant. I know it's a bad time for you, but I'd like to take you out, *if* you're interested, *when* you feel ready ... and I *really* hope it's not too creepy that the guy asking you out knows how to make a key to your door. Really, the code of ethics we have %26lt;shiver%26gt;. Let's just say that I am *not* emotionally capable of coming here without your direct invitation, okay?%26quot;



Maybe that's not the right wording -- but one of you will have to acknowledge the distinction between the professional and the personal side soon enough, just as a doctor who dates a patient will need to give up that part of the practice, and transfer the personal records out ASAP.



Still, I wouldn't wait a few weeks as a practice: if she interests you, then let her know as soon as you can do so without compromising your professional ethics. If you can do it before you leave for the day, all the better -- socially. Of course, the ones you're already thinking about -- start making calls before they forget you.
Should I use my job to pick up women?
I think it's okay. Just act like a normal dude, not like 'mr official locksmith dude.' act naturally and it should be okay.
Try and strike up a conversation and if you click then go for it. How do you meet people these days anyway? Go for it as long you aren't trying to prey on them because you think they are vulnerable because that would be wrong.