Thursday, October 6, 2011

Can i be evicted and my things thrown away?

Loooong story short i fell in hard times in december and wasn't able to pay rent till feb for both december and jan. luckily my landlord understood my problem and let me get by we sorted out these issues via the telephone. I was able to pay him the money owed wile i was visiting family in late january when i mailed him the check for BOTH back months. NOW. in the mean time (wile im with family as we just lost our mother), my %26quot;understanding%26quot; landlord had taken an unexpected twist and changed locks. Understand he had gotten his money in a check by this time but REFUSED to let me or others who had belongings in my apartment come get them. Saying i abandoned when he knew full well that wasnt the case because he never said anything on the phone about there being a problem. I really could do nothing about this. i was NEVER served with ANY official form of eviction from him or the local police. over 6000 dollars of things i can think of were thrown out givin to goodwill and possibly kept for his own personal store he owns and operates. How can any renter at any time lock you out and not let you have your things... then go on to get rid of ALL THEM.. If i take this to court do i have a chance at getting money for my lost belongins beings i have to start over FRESH with NOTHING to show. Or will the pile of scum who gets by taking advantage of stupid 19 year ol kids like myself be %26quot;within his full legal rights%26quot; to do what hes done. something is wrong here. for anyone reading this understand

A. TO DATE he has been paid for rent

B.EVERYTHING i owned has been discarded and theres nothing i can do

C.No official eviction notice was ever served.

D.Hes trying to get me for new carpet, when he failed to show up for court with the last tendents so they didnt have to pay but made me move in without even changing OR cleaning them (trust me they were nasty)

thats all for now this is getting to long
Can i be evicted and my things thrown away?
It is ILLEGAL for him to just change the locks on you like that, He must go thru he formal eviction first. It is also illegal for him to just take your stuff. There are abandoned property laws in every state that require him to contact you and give a certain amount of time before anything can be removed.



Since he has already gotten rid of all your belongings then you can sue him for the value. I'm afraid it is your word against his about he carpet.
Can i be evicted and my things thrown away?
sue him
State law dictates what he can do. In my state (New York), the landlord cannot keep the tenant from collecting his possessions, no matter how much is owed in rent.



Seek an attorney. I suspect your landlord may well be legally liable for the value of your property, and that he has failed to properly evict as well.



Most attorneys will work out a payment plan, BTW. You don't have to have a bunch of money up front to get someone to advise you or help you protect your rights.
He can not Legally lock you out of your appartment or confiscate your property



An eviction doesn't give him the right to take your property either it must be given to you



He is in the wrong and in some jurisdictions would owe you for 2xs or 3xs the amount of damages