Thursday, October 6, 2011

Is it inappropriate to ask women out when....?

I am a single man and I own a locksmith business. I frequently go out on re-keys (change locks) because of relationships ending. I usually meet friendly attractive women who are going through breakups and divorces. I would be interested in dating some of these women but I don't know how to make the move from locksmith to asking them out. Is it inappropriate or creepy to ask them out? If it's not, then how should I go about it? I have thought about calling these women back a few weeks later to see how they are doing but I don't want to set off the creep meter. I'm average looking, funny, street and life smart. I'm just not sure on this one. What are your thoughts?
Is it inappropriate to ask women out when....?
At business you should not be dating. also if you ask one they may call your supervisor and report you. that is not a way to meet women. you gotta hit the bars, starbucks, and places like that.

but to ask cusotmers will you go out iwht me is creepy as you put it.
Is it inappropriate to ask women out when....?
Massively creepy. Don't do it. If she offers her number, take it. The closest thing you can appropriately do is give her your card and say, %26quot;Here's my card. Call if you have any problems or need any more locks changed.%26quot;



A locksmith knows where you live and can get into your house easily. That is the last kind of person that I want to hear from out of the blue. I would actually feel threatened and sort of scared if a locksmith (or anyone who'd done work on/in my home) called to ask me out.



Try an online dating service maybe.
I'm really not sure, I guess it depends on the woman's point of view. Having been through a breakup, some of them will be edgy towards men in general and find you creepy and/or take offense, some will be lonely and will welcome flirting, some will be lonely and may use you as a crutch so beware for that, some may be determined to find a new better man in their lives and are ready to move forward (these are the ones you want to find). I don't think it's innaproppriate, just follow your instincts when asking them out, deep inside you know how to make sure you don't come off creepy. Be confident, it's really nothing different than if you were approaching these women at a supermarket or anywhere else you might meet them, where you could also come off as creepy. Be courtious and respectful to these womens' situations and just go with it, your intentions are good.
Meet women other ways. The idea that a locksmith made a key to your house, and now wants to date IS CREEPY, even for a man to think about.



Try chat rooms.
just say: would you like to go out some time?
Oh my. This is tricky. Your concerns are totally logical. As a woman, I would probably feel flattered but, at the same time, freaked out that the locksmith is asking me out on a date while changing my lock or after the fact via phone. Honestly, I think it would creep me out knowing that the locksmith has access to my house and all. Even though you technically don't, most women assume you do. Woman (and men) also know that many crimes are committed by people who install security systems and locks because they have access to special equipment. The scary movies that have recently been made and all the CSI shows that depict the locksmith as the murderer certainly don't help. However, if I coincidentally %26quot;wink wink%26quot; ran into the locksmith on the street, at a club, at the supermarket, etc., and stuck up a conversation, I wouldn't be freaked out.



Here's what I would do. When you complete the installation of the lock, be sure to leave your business card. The card should include your business number AND your personal number. This puts the ball in her court.



Also, follow up all services by mailing a professional survey to the home owner. Do this two weeks after the lock has been installed. The survey should ask professional questions about the quality of the service provided, the quality of the lock installed, suggestions for change, friendliness and professionalism of the person who installed the lock (you of course), etc. Put your business card in the survey. Be sure to pre-stamp an envelope so it can be returned. If she chooses to mail the survey back, wonderful! You will receive good feedback on how to improve your company. Here is the sneaky part. It will also trigger her memory and put the ball back in her court. Maybe after a few weeks some of the women will be bold enough to call you for non-professional reasons.



Also, start hanging out at some of the local clubs in the neighborhood where you install the locks. If the woman is newly single, you just might cross her path while she's hangin' with her girls. Say something like, %26quot;You look so familiar. I'm a locksmith, were you one of my customers?%26quot; Don't say her name or the neighborhood she lives in. Deliberately mix up details. For instance, if she lives in Jonestown, Say, %26quot;Don't you live in Hagerstown? And you have that home business, right?%26quot; Just be vague and casual and dumb about it. Otherwise, she'll get scared.
A woman going through the trouble of changing her locks due to a scary man who may have threatened her life is extremely vulnerable.

it would be playing the odds for sure and tactless.

Do you really want to get into what could be a death sentance for yourself?

I had a friend who was going through something similar when she had the police accompany her to her shared home to pick up her belongings.

The cop decided that it would be a good time to try and score with my girlfriend.

She was put off to say the least.

You are in a position to help only by doing the job you were hired to do.

There's a ggod chance that a percentage of women you ask out will date you, but when a woman is in an emotionally fragile state, it's not really healthy for either of you unless you like being the %26quot;saviour type%26quot; or want more complications in your life with ex psycho boyfriends and husbands.

I would be put off by your advances if I hired you, but really who knows?

If you must play the odds, leave your card and explain that when she'd done dealing with all the turmoil, she could always call you for a llunch date.

That's sort of less intimidating then being super direct.

I dunno. My first thought is %26quot;wrong. Don't do it%26quot; but you'll probably score due to the womans emotionally fragile state.

Is that what you want to deal with at the time?

Are tou ready to babysit?

Think about that.
That is hard because it can come across as being creepy and they might report you to your company. You could say to them that you don't want to come across creepy but that you would like to have lunch/dinner with them. Just be prepared for some of them to say no or worse.
Scary as hell since you're a locksmith and can get in their house anytime. You're going to have to wait until one of those women are interested in YOU. Look extra special, no not make up, but nice hair cut, shave, etc. Make them laugh. Give your card and say call me any time and give a non creepy look but interested look (interested in them look) and .. hopefully they call.