Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Changing door locks on my 1995 Toyota Corolla?

I need to change both the driver side and passenger side door locks on my car. The key does not open either door, nor the trunk. It works in the ignition. It USED to work in the driver's side door, but one day stopped turning. We had to break the window to get in. It has power locks and windows on the inside. When you are inside the car and pushing the button to unlock (or lock) sometimes it will not work. It makes sound like it is trying, but then won't pop the lock.



Anyway, how difficult is it to change these? Where can I find the parts because I can't seem to find them online? How will the situation with keys work (one key, two keys)? How much do you think it'd be to get it done at an auto shop? I need all the help I can get.



I just need it fixed, I really don't care how it gets there as long as it's not super expensive.
Changing door locks on my 1995 Toyota Corolla?
Auto parts stores like %26quot;AUTOZONE%26quot; sell keyed lock sets that allow you to replace as many lock sets as you want.I recomend just replacing the door locks being that the key still works the ignition.As for replacing them it involves removing the inner door panel and anything under or on it and reaching up into the door and removing the actuator rods from the old lock and removing the old lock assembly which should be held in by a spring loaded clip and then reversing the disasembly procedure.If you don't feel that your mechanical skills are up to doing it yourself having a TRUSTED MECHANIC do it should not be that expensive.
Changing door locks on my 1995 Toyota Corolla?
If it sounds like it's trying, it could be the power door lock actuator. I don't have any info on the cost of those though.





Before you do that, have you tried spraying some WD40 into the lock? Just push the straw through the little cover, and give it a good hosing. Especially if you mainly used to use the remote, rather than the key, and regardless, the cylinders could just be rusted or oxidized inside.
I expect that the grease has hardend up. I had that problem with my trunk lock and just squirted some WD-40 in it and it freed up. The WD-40 can will come with a piece of plastic spaghetti that can be jammed into the spray head so you can get the solvent right in the lock.