Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How to get creditors to leave u alone?

Almost three years ago, I broke my lease and left my apt. I came back a couple of months later to retrieve my stuff, only to find my apt cleaned out. I went and asked my ex about it(he lived in the building and got my key(they were changing locks during my absence), %26amp; he admitted that he let his sis hang up there(she's done this b4), %26amp; I guess this time she stole a lot of my things. Then I was told that since my stuff was stolen, the remaining debt I had with the complex wouldnt have to be paid. Since my stuff was still on their property when it was stolen.



But they're still after the debt. My parents and I assessed the value of stuff taken from my place, and the value of everything exceeds the debt they want paid, and we notified them in writing. They didn't want ot speak to us. Plus, I'm glad my ex had the key...otherwise we wouldnt've been able to get into my place at all! The maintenance man was NOWHERE to be found! Plus, I got a notice from them telling me to clean out my apartment, or loose all my stuff. Mom says I should just write another letter to them, but I'm gonna get bothered again for a debt I don't owe. what should I do to remedy this? It's a matter of principle. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. B nice! Please.
How to get creditors to leave u alone?
Just because you broke the lease doesn't mean that you did not pay in full for the time your items remained in the apartment. C'mon posters, lets think here. Most lease breaks require a 60 day notice, so if her stuff sat there for two months that time period had already been paid for anyway.



Renter's insurance (required by most complexes) should have covered the stolen items.



You say you were told that you wouldn't have to pay since your items were on their property, but who told you that? A representative of the complex or just someone you know?



If the debt is over 3 years old then it is already on your credit report as a negative entry (check to be sure) if this is the case, then do not pay it. Check the statute of limitations for legal collection in your state. If it isn't a very large amount, most collection agencies won't bother.



If you pay the debt after it has landed on your credit report and sat there for 3 years you not only restart the statute of limitations you reset the reporting period. Meaning, instead of having another 4 years to go until it falls off your report you have another 7 years. Plus, if you pay it, that does not improve your credit.



If you have written proof that you were absolved of the debt, nail them for all you have and force them to correct your credit report in lieu of a lawsuit. Otherwise, leave well enough alone and lay low until the SoL runs out for your state. Then hit them with a cease and desist letter stating they cannot in any way contact you. After that they cannot contact you and they cannot sue you.



And did you go to the police, file a report, have the girl questioned, arrested, anything? Just curious.



Make sure to get everything in writing from now on.
How to get creditors to leave u alone?
You broke your lease then came back 3 months later to get your stuff and you think that's OK?........Let me think about that?........Nope......you owe........pay it.
If your ex had the key, then you might be able to make a case that the lease wasn't broken, that your ex sister in law stayed there with his permission, since you was married to him at the time, if I was you, I'd forward all the bills to his mailing address and let him sort it out.
The only way to rid yourself of the debt completely would be if you had evidence to the fact that they said you would not have to pay the debt as it was stolen on their property. You have your word, but would need further proof of this to dispute it and succeed. If you do have such proof however, they should accept it.



I do strongly advise against debt dodging, if you have no documentation to prove they claimed this, then as far as the court is concerned, it was never said.
Agree with the first few posters.



If you left your things there for months, by state law it may have been considered abandoned property.



Plus, with your things in the apartment for months, they would not have been able to re-lease the apartment.



If you feel like pursuing it, I would suggest speaking with a lawyer.
File a Bankruptcy
Why do you think the apartment complex is repsonsible for your belongings? You broke your lease and expected to come back 2 months later to find all your things still sitting in the apartment? Did you pay the rent for those 2 months?



Even if the your ex's sis stole the stuff, you need to pursue your ex who handed out the key (how did he get a key to your place?) and his sister. Definitely not the apartment complex.
The matter of principle is to follow the lease. Was a police report filed for the stolen stuff? Since your ex gave the key to his sister and let her stay there, was she paying the rent? Did you get the agreement about not having to pay the remainder of the lease in writing? If not sorry you are probably out of luck and will be held liable. More than likely the person who told you that you didn't have to pay is long gone, and know the replacement is proceeding to collect the debt as per the lease. Looks to me like the ex and his sister should be liable for the missing stuff not the apt. management. You gave your key to your ex so unless the Complex Management had %26quot;control%26quot; of your processions, and were holding your stuff until you payed your rent they can't be held liable for what happened.



Be grateful that after a couple of months any of your stuff was still there. Next time read the lease carefully, as it is a binding contract. Never give your key to anyone. And take out renters insurance.



I'm sorry I don't want to sound mean but I'm afraid Judge Judy would fall off her bench laughing at this one.
You waited to come back a couple months later. Did you think your stuff was still going to be in an apartment you weren't paying rent on?

Your landlord isn't running free storage.No matter what you were told, you owe
  • asp hosting
  • bird
  •