Thursday, October 6, 2011

Landlord changed lock..how can I get my stuff out?

Hi everyone,

I am single mother of one year old baby, I pay rent on time. While I am abroad looking for job, landlord made a story that the police was looking for me couple of days after I left and therefore he had to change lock, I called the police they said they never looked for me!!!



Now I came back I am staying with a friend of mine. I tried to call the landlord he did not answer, I left a message asking if he changed back the lock and giving him my arrival date, I also mentioned that the police will be coming with me to sort out the issue between us.

He did not reply, the last time we spoke he started swearing at me and I had to finish the call immediately.

Now, my question is how to get my things out? do I call the police or the council or who else to help me as I have the baby with me and I dont trust this mad man who wished me good luck for my journey and after 3 days made up stories about the police in order to change lock, ending up swearing at me and saying that I am a trouble maker who is escaping the country!!!

Who can I contact to deal with him?



thanks in advance
Landlord changed lock..how can I get my stuff out?
The police with do what is called a stand by. They will go with you to the apartment and stand by to make sure the man doesn't get violent while you get your stuff out. You can then sue him in civil court.
Landlord changed lock..how can I get my stuff out?
Unless you have been gone more than 30 days, you did not legally abandon the property.



If you were gone for less than 30 days, the landlord conducted an illegal eviction, and the police will order him to change the locks back or give you permission to break into the property....even if it damages his property, and you will not be held liable.



PS: If you have a written lease in place, you don't have to leave at all.
Do what everyone else says. You need to phone the police.



What this landlord has done is highly illegal and you need to get your stuff out and start looking for somewhere else to live. I would also contact a small claims court and sue his *** off. He had no legal right to do this.