Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do you change the tumblers insinde a standard kwickset entry lock?

I just started working for a a company that wants me me to pay to have the %26quot;tumblers%26quot; in a kwikset entry and deadbolt locks to a certain number or code ie:35241. that is the actual code I was sent to change the locks to......yes i can take it to home depot/lowes to have them do it but i would rather do it on site. I just began doing property preservation for banks and trying to save some $$ on my re-keys. PLS help as I have been starving for work and $ and dont want an added expense of hiring a locksmith/lowes/HD to do it for me. I Can purchase tools..i think, to do it myself just need a little guidence. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE..
How do you change the tumblers insinde a standard kwickset entry lock?
All of the above answers are correct, BUT if you have never completed this type of task before, practice on some old lock (s).... inside, things are SPRING LOADED, %26amp; those little tumblers can really fly once set free. (you'll need extra parts)..another option, just take it to a locksmith, round here, it's just a couple bucks to re-key a lock %26amp; the time you spend will not be searching for %26amp; picking up all the tiny pieces %26amp; trying to fit it back together. Good Luck. (it really isn't difficult once you get the hang of it AND when you have the proper tools)
How do you change the tumblers insinde a standard kwickset entry lock?
go to quickset web site. They have pictures and instructions. You need a tool to get the lock apart. I made one myself by looking at the picture. You maybe can buy a tool, but most people won't sell you one because they want your business. You can buy the tool online, but I didn't want to wait for shipping. I don't remember wghere it is or I would send you a pic. I think it can be made from a piece of flat steel. It is not a standard dimension, so you have to do a little grinding.
You need a Kwikset re-keying kit. Kwikset may sell them to you. It has instructions, the proper size pins and all else you will need. l have both Kwikset and Schlage and have rekeyed maybe two hundred locksets.