Thursday, September 15, 2011

Just wanted to know if I can legally change the locks to my house considering the following circumstances?

22nd of April 2009, on a Wednesday, my grandmother died (God rest her soul) in a fire that happened in our family home. My stepfather has been held in custody since then, and my mother since has left to a different country where she has more support, because this is obviously too much for her to handle considering she has 3 children that are all under 5 years of age and her grief of her mothers death. Now that I am all alone I came up with an idea for me to live, this would be to rent the rooms of the house once it has been fixed to students and for them to pay me, this would then be my income, that way I would be able to give my mother the rent money for her to live on. But, my mother doesn't want me near the UK, she doesn't trust me at all and I refuse to live anywhere else apart from England. Me and my mothers relationship wasn't the best one, fights everyday etc and the whole thing about her not trusting me because I am a teenager and all that bullshit. I am now on holiday visiting my father. My mother recently told me that she had signed a contract to rent the house to a family, this puzzled me because 50% of the house was put under my name from my father in the 1990's, so i don't know how she can get away with it without my signature or permission. So i was thinking that i would cut my holiday short and go back to England on the 14th this month, and change the locks of the house.. I was wandering if i would be able to do that without interruption from the law also putting into consideration that she still somehow might of rented the house. Thanks for taking your time to read this..
Just wanted to know if I can legally change the locks to my house considering the following circumstances?
yes
Just wanted to know if I can legally change the locks to my house considering the following circumstances?
sorry for your loss x god bless honey and I think you should

get legal advice before changing the locks and good luck

with it all xxxxxxxx cheers
No, it is not legal. You are a minor. You said you were going to give your mom the rent money anyway. You are not a legal adult so that is how she can %26quot;get away with it%26quot;. Sucks.
If half the house is in your name, you can't change the locks, but she also can't rent the house out without informing you.

Tell her that you're going to require 50% of whatever that family pays in rent, then use that to live on.
Tell your mother you own half the house, if she refuses to listen, bring it to court, it sounds cruel and mean, but it's pretty much the only choice. The courts will decide what to do. She was negligent in not informing you about the rent, so she could be fined or she could lose the 50% she owns or some other thing like that. The rentee's would not be able to rent the house, but you might not be able to change the locks before the court-date. This is the best thing I can think of so.. Best of luck to ya.
If your a minor u dont own the house. It is held in trust for you. Meaning u have no rights to it yet. Until your of age which is determined by the trust.

It also means she can not sell it.

She is also an adult and has more power than you.