Friday, September 23, 2011

Does the Land Lord of My new apt, have the right to the keys of BOTH Locks on my door? (New York Law)?

I dont know if its different from state to state. But I just got an apartment. And I know the Apt I have been living in all this time, the locks have been changed a few times, for the top lock, the Building management have the bottom lock, we cant change that lock, and thats fine,



My new Landlord asks, if I want to change the top lock, that I give him a copy of the key. Is that legal? Whats the point of having a lock change knowing someone out there has the key? If they need to get in by emergency they have the right to drill the lock. Other than that theres no reason for him to have the key in my view.



And it was not specified in the lease, so I dont see how he can hold it against me if I refuse, but I also want to keep a good relationship.



I was thinking about changing the lock, and giving him a fake key.



Any advice?
Does the Land Lord of My new apt, have the right to the keys of BOTH Locks on my door? (New York Law)?
The law actually requires them to have a key, it is not simply their right (it is their proprety, not yours) but they have a legal obligation.



He can, and will evict you for not providing a key.
Does the Land Lord of My new apt, have the right to the keys of BOTH Locks on my door? (New York Law)?
YES they do

They are the owners of the property
The property owner has a right to the keys.



In fact, I'm surprised that he would let you change the locks. Most landlords (in other states) change the locks for you, and then give you a copy of the key.



P.S. Here's the information you are looking for, answered by a New York attorney:



http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/reales鈥?/a>



From that article...



Robert Sokolski, a Manhattan lawyer who represents tenants, said that under New York State's Multiple Dwelling Law, a tenant may install one lock in place of, or in addition to, the lock provided by the landlord.



%26quot;But the tenant must supply a duplicate key to the landlord or the landlord's agent upon request,%26quot; Mr. Sokolski said.
Well, I'm not sure about New York but maybe you can call 911 as a non-emergency and ask if that is right or not. but i dont suggest to change it and not tell him and give him a fake key.



Usually what sarah said is correct. but there are occasions that landlords are nice enough to change it due to previous renters.
In California they have a right to all keys that gain entrance to the property. How they do access the property can become a legal issue.



I understand your concern, but if you're on vacation and there is a plumbing issue and I had to get a locksmith to open the door, you will be an ex-tenant. ;)



Have you considered renter's insurance?



Good Luck
I'm not sure how it works in NY. But in CA every landlord or management company has the right to have copy of the keys to the property. If you change the locks and give them a fake key thats a problem because the renter is not the owner. Also it could lead to an eviction if the landlord wants to take it that far. But just because you give him the key, he/she has no right to enter the property whenever they want. They have to give it to you in writing and notify you before they enter the property.
Unfortunately as a renter, privacy goes out of the window. the property owner does have a right to all keys AND to enter the property at any time. Most landlords I have had are pretty respectful and don't just come and go on a whim. They usually give you a day's notice if they need to enter for inspection or maintenance, unless you have been unruly or given them reason to surprise you. I wouldn't try the fake key thing. He could decide to terminate your lease once he discovered it.
Yes, it is legal for the landlord to have a copy of the key.



If the landlord cannot enter in an emergency and is forced to drill out the locks, guess who pays? You!



The landlord can hold it against you and it does not need to be specified in the lease.



Try your little trick and you may be paying to have the locks changed
YES- A LANDLORD MUST HAVE A KEY TO YOUR UNIT!!!!!! It is ILLEGAL to change the locks and not give them a key! They have to be able to get in case of emergency %26amp; to fix things.
Not only do they have the right..NYS %26amp; NYC law requires the landlord to have a copy of all keys.
The landlord has the right to have copies of all keys, if she requests them.
Yes, they own, you rent.

Do this to me and if I have an emergency you would learn a big lesson.

Plus if I could not get in, you would be liable for any damages.

Then I would call my $300.00 locksmith to redo the locks.

Become an owner and have your own key!
In the first place if there was an emergency he wouldn't have time to drill the lock. In all states the landlord is allowed to have keys to the rental. He can not enter any time he wants and must give you 24 hours notice. My advice, give him a key and not a fake one