Thursday, September 15, 2011

How do I change a door handle without changing the lock?

I'm currently renting a house. The door knob on the front door is starting to get jammed. Rather than wait for the landlord to replace it, he gave me permission to go out and get a new one and replace it myself. My question is, how can I change the handle without changing the actual lock so that everyone can still use their same keys?
How do I change a door handle without changing the lock?
Assuming you are speaking of a keyed entry door knob 鈥?you will need to purchase the same brand lockset and have it re-pinned to your key. You could do it yourself but it takes a bit of tumble knowledge, a few tools and pins.

You could take it to a locksmith, but the cost will probably be less if you just have some duplicates made of the new lockset and hand them out.
How do I change a door handle without changing the lock?
Take the lock to the place you buy the new lock from and have them re-key it to your key.
odds are its your drive strike. the piece that comes out of side of door. your lock has only 4 screws total. take them out.... 2 on side of knob and 2 on the striker, and put a new one on. they come with 2 keys and almost any place you buy it will be able to cut extra keys for you