Friday, September 23, 2011

I have upvc door to my balcony. I have never had a key for it and now need to change the lock?

I have never been that bothered about it before, as I live on the fourth floor and it is a private balcony and not exactly a security risk. But now we are having some building work done and having scaffolding put up. It is a euro cylinder lock, and from what I can gather, I need the keys to bring the cam in line. How can I do it without the key? Your help would be greatly apprieciated!!!!! Thanks..
I have upvc door to my balcony. I have never had a key for it and now need to change the lock?
Every one answering this question does not seem to realise you can't open the door to get the lock out,

So on the euro cylinder you need to drill a hole about 5mm just under the round part where the key goes, you will then be able to turn the lock with a screwdriver and open the door,

Just make sure you have a new cylinder ready to fit so you can lock your door,

If your not sure call a lock smith.
I have upvc door to my balcony. I have never had a key for it and now need to change the lock?
The euro lock is held in place with an Alan grub screw, undo it and remove the cylinder.



They vary in length and are sometimes of unequal length.

Check how it was in the door and take it to the shop to get a match.
look in the yellow page for window door repair repalce etc,these are people thatcan repair plastic doors windows etc,hope this helps
i do this for a living, remove the handles, grip both sides of the key barrel with mole grips now pull both of the mole grips towards you, the barrel will snap at the point were the fixing screw enters the lock barrel body remove the two parts take out of the hole any bits usually just the cam, remove the screw then go to a large diy store and buy a replacement lock, ...... that will be 拢84.00 please madam :-) , advice is free, now just do two other people a good turn, and get them to do two other people a good turn
Euro lock cylinders are fixed in place by a screw. To undo the screw look at the edge of the door just below the height of the lock cylinder. Take the screw out completely and the cylinder should come out - it may take a little waggling and persuasion. When you buy a new cylinder, take the old one with you to make sure that you get one the correct length. Shouldn't be a problem.
See if you can take it off the hinges.
You could drill it out and fit a new lock housing/cylinder in to it. This is what a handyman told me when I couldn't find the key to my upvc downstairs window. However I wasn't convinced it was the best solution. Check with your local DIY store.
If you can get the lock off the door you can take it to a local lock shop and have a key made for it. that will save you money instead of calling a locksmith out to your home. Some locks might need the key to remove the lock so you might need to drill it off or call a pro.
on the side of the door ..handle side ..and approx half way up ..there is a screw ..remove this screw and the lock will normally slide out through the door handle..as you can see they are very easy to remove ..
Chelbel if the bolt of the euro lock is not protruding, open the door on the edge of the door is a recessed screw undo it take off one of the handles slide out the euro lock and replace cost about 拢6-00. You should not be able to withdraw the old key without the lock being locked or open so the barrel should be inline