Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Help with purchasing tax delinquent property?

I will obtain an attorney for the purposes of getting a quiet action deed, but I have questions that might ease my mind while I am considering the purchase of tax property.



Once the county has had its tax sale and the state has purchased the property,



1) Who cares for the property? --some of these places look abandoned but are mowed, others are not mowed at all.



2) Who has the keys to the property/house?



3) How can I get an idea of the inside of the property, ie. how many rooms, appliances, condition of floors, walls, etc.? Is that even possible? (I am looking to buy my first tax property in a certain area as a home. I wouldn't have the time to fix up something, sell it, and look for something else, although I may do that later.)



4) What if someone is living there or cares for the property?



5) Once I have purchased the property, do I have to wait for the quiet action deed before I can look inside, change locks, etc?

Any real help I can get would be appreciated
Help with purchasing tax delinquent property?
1. Once you have possession, you do.Until then, nobody is going to care for it.

2. Nobody, once you have the right to possession of the property you'll probably have to have a locksmith open and rekey it.

3. If the property is vacant it's probably safe to go there and peek in windows. If it's not vacant, don't trespass, there's no way to see the inside.

4. If someone's living there and you buy it, you'll need to evict them.

5. Yes, do not set foot on the property until the sale is perfected (deed recorded).
Help with purchasing tax delinquent property?
lol, we do a lot of tax sales acquisitions here in NM and all I can tell you is that all states disclose to you that it is up to you to make sure that you do your title search correctly and that you will be buying the property as is. What you see is what you get and they are not responsible for nada.

Buena Suerte
It would depend on where you're at. In Florida, once you purchase the property at tax auction and pay for it you receive a tax deed and the property is yours. I would not go putting a lot of money into it though until you go through the quiet title action. You never know who will crawl out from under a rock and try to claim the property is theirs and you did not rightfully obtain it. That's the one problem with tax sales. They are not 100% certain. There is some risk involved.