Saturday, June 4, 2011

Changing locks on my car? is this possible? expensive?

Made a stupid decision letting someone take my car keys out of my sight for what ended up being almost an hour. The key has been copied which I know will not work to start the engine..but it will open the door. I have a convertable and had disabled entry to the trunk of my car from the dash, making the trunk accessable only with my little keyless remote thing (whatever you call that thing) Anyway, the local access has been reset and enabled... this means whoever has a copy of my car key (there is no telling how many people) has access to my trunk. I do not keep valuable things in my car or in the trunk... however, there are several things which I believe motivated this person to do this...none of which I want to be involved in in any way whatsoever. I%26#039;m pretty much upset .... at the individual and myself. How can I fix this?? can I change the locks on my car?? any ideas?|||Yes, you can change the locks, and yes it will probably be expensive.|||A lot depends upon the make and year of the car. Some newer cars that have key codes will take at least a week to redo and can cost $$$ (well over $100). If you have a convertible, it is easy enough to break into the rest of your car anyway with or without a key. I don%26#039;t know the motivation, but if you don%26#039;t keep valuables or items that could cause personal identity theft in your car you%26#039;re pretty safe.